Our education system and its delivery pattern have changed a lot in recent past. Primarily, the private schools, colleges, institutions and universities try to keep pace with evolving industry pattern.
Despite this, there is huge incongruity between what corporate demands and what is being supplied by our existing Education system. For government institutions it is still a lengthy process to change any of their set patterns.
Let us have a look at the reasons behind the mismatch: –
- Lack of connection between Industry and education institutions: A recent study showed that only 1 out of 10 students with degree in Humanities and only 1 out of 4 Engineering graduates worldwide are employable. Schools, colleges, universities are functioning today as independent and isolated bodies. They are not in sync with the Corporate world.
One gets to learn skills like goal-orientation, team management, perseverance, resilience, leadership only while he gets into a job. Why is it so? Why is a fresh graduate compelled to undergo 6 months of corporate training program in a MNC before he actually starts his 1st day at work. Why does not a student practically execute a concept after he learns it for the first time in class?? “This is not something I have learnt “ is what managers face from freshly recruited candidates.
Apprenticeship is the keyword that needs to be imbibed in Education blood in today’s era.
- Commercialization of Education System: We are witnessing burgeoning realization of importance of education in Global economy. This has led parents and influencers let their child undergo proper education. According to the US government’s National Center for Education Statistics: “Colleges and universities are awarding approximately 943,000 associate’s degrees; 8 million bachelor’s degrees; 778,000 master’s degrees; and 177,000 doctor’s degrees year on year.” The figures prove huge demand of education among youth.
This pressing requirement is being leveraged by businessmen. New entrants are frequent in education industry leading to high competition and commercialization. Experts from multiple sectors are getting into franchisee model extorting profit by exceedingly compromising with quality. High schools are not preparing students with the skills and knowledge necessary to excel after graduation. Only 1 in 4 high school students graduate college-ready in the 4 core subjects of English, Reading, Math and Science.
The system needs to understand that it is leeching off future of WORLD.
- Lack of focus on skill development: According to US Manufacturers 40% of all 17 year old do not have the Math skill and 70% lack reading skill to hold down a Production job at a Manufacturing firm.
Academic supremacy is very good only if it is integrated with soft, behavioral and life skills. Lack of focus on the later skills in our education system is a cause of headache among Industry managers.
- Lack of willing participation of Corporate in Education domain : Have you ever heard that IBM professional is going to teach a concept in Class Vth in school; President of Walmart group is going to spend time in training Leadership skills to class Xth … No, right ?
This is the tragedy of our system.
- Less propensity of schools / colleges / universities to provide On-job-training / hands –on-experience for lessons: It takes lot of effort and endeavor for schools and colleges to set up relationship with corporate world. They love to be confined in their own comfort zone. They fail to adapt their pedagogy and orientation as per market demand.
In a nut shell, we need to create an echo system wherein Industry-Education system are two sides of the same coin. This will definitely help build a better and brighter World .